Scoreless at Spafield

HOLYWOOD hosted Tullycarnet on Saturday at Spafield, with both teams challenging for promotion to 1B. The strong wind driving down the pitch made even warming up a challenge with cones and footballs blowing everywhere, so it was no surprise it impacted on both teams’ efforts to play any sort of football. The first half was an extremely tentative affair, however Holywood were fortunate not to fall behind when the Tullycarnet striker spurned a glorious chance, after an impressive run off the ball. Much to the relief of the home side he scuffed his effort from eight yards wide whilst under no pressure. The home side applied pressure with forward Huesini being a threat from set pieces but failed to really test the visiting keeper in what was a disappointing showing from the league leaders. Facing the wind in the second half, Holywood played much better and should have broken the deadlock on several occasions. Following a good move, JJ McKinley somehow headed over from just under the bar with the keeper stranded, albeit from a tight angle. With minutes remaining, great play from Calum James again found McKinley in space. He went through one-on-one with the keeper, but fortune favoured the away side as the keeper made the close range block. The final whistle brought the end to a scrappy game. It was a fair result on the balance of play. Man of the match went to Holywood’s Thomas Wilson. Elsewhere, Holywood Seconds won 6-0 away to Wellington Rec Seconds. A Stevie Horan hat-trick was the highlight for Holywood as they kept themselves firmly in the 3D promotion hunt. Donnelly also scored two, but unsurprisingly Horan was named man of the match. At Seapark, Holywood Thirds beat CSP Seconds 4-2. The men in green started without a recognised keeper and with three teenagers in the line-up. After ten minutes Hartin crossed for Craig who timed his run into the box perfectly and sent the keeper the wrong way from close range for 1-0. Ten minutes later, Crowe, again from the right, floated a great cross to the back post and Round hit it in for 2-0. On 35 minutes, Round collected the ball inside the box, controlled it, took it past the CSP defender and slotted home for his second and Holywood’s third. In the second half, with wind at their backs, CSP scored twice to make it 3-2. With 20 minutes left, the mercurial Lusty won the ball in midfield and sent a sublime pass to McCausland on the right wing. McCausland ran onto it, took a touch, and chipped the on rushing keeper from 20 yards for 4-2. Owen Round was named man of the match.