Woods goal gives Bangor victory

BANGOR had to battle hard for three points on Saturday afternoon, as they saw off a dogged Tobermore United side at Fortwilliam Park. A first half header from Kyle Woods was enough to give Bangor a deserved but narrow victory that put the Seasiders into second place in the Premier Intermediate League. Lee Feeney had been busy adding new faces to his squad, with Jordan Hughes, Kyle Calderwood and Dylan O’Kane all starting on the bench. There was a start on the wing for Jamie Glover, and the youngster who joined from Ards made an instant impression in yellow and blue. The 20 year old used his pace and trickery to good effect as early as the third minute, but his low shot flew wide of the target. Bangor started brightly but while Reece Neale and Karl Devine had Gareth Maguire scrambling in the Tobermore United goal, their shots were just too high. Both sides had to contend with a bumpy pitch, and it was Bangor who looked the more comfortable with a midfield three of Devine, Lewis Harrison and Jack Wasson dominating proceedings. It was Harrison who stung the palms of Maguire in the 22nd minute with the former Bangor keeper gathering at the second attempt. The breakthrough finally arrived after 35 minutes. The home side failed to clear the danger, and when Karl Devine floated an angled cross into the penalty area, Kyle Woods rose highest to nod home. That lead really should have been doubled moments later. Another darting run by Glover culminated with a low cross to Gareth Beattie, but the right back opened his body too much as he skewed his shot agonisingly wide of the post. Not extending their lead almost came back to haunt the Seasiders on the stroke of half time. Jamie Thompson got on the end of a Samuel McKelvey cross and his header looked destined for the back of the net only for a magnificent Matty Anderson save denying the forward. Bangor looked to add to their slender lead after the break as Jack Upritchard broke forward, but with his weaker left foot he lifted his shot wide of Maguire’s goal. The Seasiders opted for a change in shape on the hour mark with Ben Arthurs, Jordan Hughes and Dylan O’Kane all introduced. But now with a man less in midfield, Bangor seemed to allow Tobermore United to grow into the game. While the home side played with more energy and direction, they couldn’t test Anderson with the Bangor ‘keeper dealing with a number of set pieces. Bangor threatened on the counter attack with Hughes trying his luck from 30 yards but the striker will have to wait for another occasion to open his account for the Seasiders. Bangor: Anderson, Beattie, Neale, Doey, Dickson, Harrison (61 O’Kane), Wasson (61 Hughes), Devine, Woods (61 Arthurs), Upritchard, Glover. Subs not used: Gibbons, Calderwood, Cooling, Storey Scorer: Woods (36) Booked: Harrison, Glover, Devine Tobermore United: Maguire, Kee, Keane, Kearns, Mills (53 Tavares), McAllister, Thompson, McKelvey, Fisher (56 Whiteside), Clougherty (69 McLean), Francis. Subs not used: Harkness, Fullerton, Savage, Ferreira. Booked: Keane, Kearns